August 16, 2008

Snowberry Clearwing Sphinx Moth

SnowberryClearwingSphinxMoth_cr

We had a visitor in our garden today. A Snowberry Clearwing Sphinx moth stopped in to munch on our flowering bushes. The last thing you would expect in a Texas garden is a moth with "snow" in its name. Everyone thought it was a bee from the window inside during lunch. I wanted to identify it, so I dared my son to go out and be stung first and take a good look. At first, the little bugger flew away, but then his hunger for our Chaste Tree nectar became too much for him to bear.

SClearwingMoth

Soon he was back and humming around while we snapped a few photos. Once, he even let my son touch him.



We looked him up on the bug ID site and learned what type of moth he was. I hope he'll come back. He sure is a pretty little guy. Much friendlier than those black bees that used to feed on our cucumber vines all day. Speaking of which... the cucumber vines are history. Some strange bug got them. Almost everything in the garden is already dying now - except for the tomato plants that are putting out a ton of green fruits right now. I can't wait until they rippen!


Quick Links:
Nature as a Teaching Tool (all my nature links)
Garden Photos


Subscribe to Sprittibee by Email

Buzz Words: , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 comments:

  1. He's beautiful. I never would have guessed him for a moth. You got some beautiful pictures, too. I'll have to nose around your blog and see if I can figure out what kind of camera you use...because, you know, the only reason I don't take better pictures is because of my camera. Yeah, that's it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful! I would've been freaking at first, because he looks pretty darned big to me... and I don't do bugs, especially not big bugs. Stumbled upon your blog today and just added you to my favorites. I look forward to reading more (I'm a homeschooling mom, too.)
    :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool, and congrats on your identification skills!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kris - :) I use a Canon 40D. Granted, it is a great camera... for a digital, but I think that the more you practice, the better you get - no matter what camera you use. :) We do some photo school stuff on Fridays over at the HSBA. Come join us for Foto Friday over there! I did a lesson not long ago about how to get better every-day shots.

    www.homeschoolblogawards.com

    nwscrapmom - I love bugs. :) Glad you stumbled in! Does that mean you found me through "STUMBLE" or you really did just find your way in? :) I love Stumble (the site) and am a member there.

    Dawn - :) Yeah, we love to ID bugs. It is a family hobby! Well, at least for me and my son.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots Heather! what a neat experience for your little ones. Did the question come up about why they think the moth looks like a bee? Would be a good question to have them journal or blog about.

    Would love to learn from you how you go about identifying bugs and plants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Your site is very informative n helpful .. thanks…..keep it up" .
    IndiaSurfer is social news submiting site.submit your posts get more traffic to your site.vote for best stories.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in to leave me a comment. I try to respond to all comments that are made, but sometimes life is busy and I am unable. If you make a point to leave a valid email address, I might just email you back instead!

If you are commenting just to leave your business links, please refrain. I don't allow free advertising here.

As always, please be kind to everyone - any comments that are rude will be deleted.