June 04, 2009

Back to the Blog

There's a blank page awaiting within Blogger when you log in. At the top of the page is the command: "Create". I don't know that I ever even noticed it before today. I have logged in to write many times without any idea of what exactly I was going to say... but I always came up with something. Four years of almost daily posts and you would think that I might have made the connection between 'Creating' and blogging.

There are many different ways to create. I have friends who quilt, decorate, design, take pictures, scrapbook, tell stories, make music, and cook. If you love what you do, it's artwork. It's beautiful. It's a passionate thing.

Do you think of blogging as creating? Being creative? Bringing forth something worthwhile to share with the world? After all, blogging is writing... with a touch of scrapping - photography - formatting - and design. Writing is creating.

I have thought of my blog as my outlet to the world. My creative outlet. However, as of late, I feel anything but creative with a matter of rushed minutes between feedings and diapers to change. I steal a few quick moments of hands-free time at the computer each day and can't even get through my email, much less really write. There's no rest for mama.

I can say that being one-handed and tied down to a Boppy pillow has truly given me a bit of time to read. Reading is something I had lost. I was too busy getting together my own daily posts to have much time to mull over the amazing talent on all my favorite blogs. It has been a blessing to me to read again. It has made me thankful, inspired me, and given me a desire to get back to blogging with my own voice again... not just mechanical blogging with contests and give-aways, memes and reminders of social networking cyber-parties... but real writing. Writing from the heart. After all... that's what I began blogging for.

A solid week of twitter tweets is enough to drive anyone back to the meat of a blog. Tiny bites of information just aren't enough. I need the full story. The photos. Give me the whole blog and nothing but the blog.

Now if I could only find the time to get back to business.

Maybe my upcoming 4 year blogiversary and site redesign will give me the inspiration and push I need to find time to blog more. I certainly hope so. Not sure I would ever be satisfied on 140 charachters or less. Sorry, Twitter. You're fun, but you just can't compete with the real deal.

4 comments:

  1. Well said! I had to start rationing my Twitter time, because it ate into my blogging time - both creating and reading. Looking forward to the redesign. Speaking of which, I should get mine up and running! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think summer is the time for redesign. I added new headings/colors to my blogs, just to brighten my day. Like putting on a new outfit. Just gotta do it.

    I agree on the blog vs. twitter. I love twitter but I get tired of the sound bites. Small amounts of text to fit in the 140 criteria. Give me a blog any day. I'm a wordy person and proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally relate to everything you said here....right down to the boppy pillow (How did I ever nurse my older two without it?!?). Baby K is beautiful! Too bad we don't live close, or he and Jack Henry could be buddies! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like twitter and facebook but nothing compares to a full story. I much prefer words chosen for their definition and personality rather than their character length.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in to leave me a comment. I try to respond to all comments that are made, but sometimes life is busy and I am unable. If you make a point to leave a valid email address, I might just email you back instead!

If you are commenting just to leave your business links, please refrain. I don't allow free advertising here.

As always, please be kind to everyone - any comments that are rude will be deleted.