March 02, 2010

Moving My Blog

I've toyed with this for a long time, but I was always too afraid.

Afraid of learning something new.
Afraid of losing my readers.
Afraid of all the broken links.
Afraid of having to work harder to update posts.
Afraid of doing things differently than I have been for the past five years.
Afraid of having to shell out money when Blogger has always been free.
Afraid of ...

And then last night I had a discussion with my son about fear. I want him to do hard things... because sometimes the hardest things to do are the most beneficial.

And then Blogger broke. So when I went in to fix something minor on my template - I realized that there was no quick fix. It was going to have to stay broken unless I learned a bit more HTML.

And free didn't seem so easy any more. The pros are finally outweighing the cons.

So I'm going to jump off the WP cliff. Just as soon as I can get up the courage. I hope you'll come with me so the journey won't be so scary.

17 comments:

  1. Heather, I moved my blog a few months ago. I did lose a lot of readers and I do have a lot of links that link back to my old blog and . . .well, all of the above. But I love WP!

    And I'll join you in the journey! *Ü*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I will follow you! LOL Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. are you getting help? i'm in the process of moving right now. maybe by this weekend. it's tricky when you already have your own domain. i've got some links to some good tutorials if you need them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't comment often...but I wanted to let you know that I will still read your blog no matter where it is hosted!

    I have wanted to move to wordpress but am also scared. Perhaps you will show me it is not so scary :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! It isn't so scary with good friends to go with you on the journey. :)

    YES Melissa - I'll take the links and maybe some hand holding?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh! I'm scared too. I will follow you though...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wordpress ROCKS!!

    I have www.crumbsonmyfloor.com (my blog)
    www.armourcleaningservices.com (my business)
    And built my husband's business website and another business website for a friend.

    You will LOVE wordpress.

    Have fun!!

    Take care,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been w/ Wordpress since day one. I doubt you will be disappointed with all the options.

    Last I knew my host will move your blog if you go through them. I think its $5 a month for hosting fees (not including your domain name). They are very reasonable and work with mombloggers/ wahms. You'll find their link at the bottom of my blog theme/template. If you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course I'll follow, but you'll have to give a step by step tutorial on how to make the switch, I've been thinking about it but am so confused by it all!!! (And would I lose posts?)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would follow you too Heather, but I wonder if there might be another way that wouldn't cost you so many viewers.

    What about buying your domain name through blogger. It's about $10 if I remember correctly. When that happens people can get you through your domain name or through blogspot.com. Wait until hour google rating is back up and then investigate moving your blog to WP but with your own domain name. Although you'd be changing platforms for your readers it would be seamless.

    But again I will follow you regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darcy said something about Apache to Melissa. That is all the moving to WP advice I have. :) This from a girl that can't even get Disqus to work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will follow you to your new home! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Squeee! You're really moving to Wordpress?! That's so exciting! I can also see where it would be scary, too. I just jumped on the Wordpress train back in August, but if you need any help I'd be glad to try!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made the move last month, and although I did lose readers (**pout**), the move was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have talked to some designers and it looks like it will be too expensive right now... so maybe some good tutorials? ;) Or a lot of patience to wait...

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are starting a new homeschool group, and we got an account with supergreenhosting.com. It's about $4/month, and they have a free WordPress install. So far, we haven't had any problems with them.

    (I could also recommend my own hosting, which I've had for years and love, at $5/month, but it's not as easy for a non-techie to use as GreenHosting.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in to leave me a comment. I try to respond to all comments that are made, but sometimes life is busy and I am unable. If you make a point to leave a valid email address, I might just email you back instead!

If you are commenting just to leave your business links, please refrain. I don't allow free advertising here.

As always, please be kind to everyone - any comments that are rude will be deleted.