Look what graced our little white porch today. We trapped the little bugger for a while, and watched him tip-toe gingerly up the side of a curved glass jar (always sliding backwards towards the base). Inquisitive little bug. It got tired of me taking close-ups and decided the only way to get rid of me was to jump on my camera - right in my face! Screaming loud enough for the entire block to hear me, I relented and went back inside!
Quotes from the What's That Bug site:
Quotes from the What's That Bug site:
"All American species belong to the family Mantidae."
"I now believe that the Norwegian name "kneeler" is from the same reason we say "praying" mantis: you kneel when you pray. At least if you accept the "praying" spelling. At least it makes sense. Why didn't I think of that before?"
Q: "Thanks a lot for your explanation. And what is the correct spelling? "Preying" or "praying?" Both of them make sense."
A: "Both spellings are correct, depending upon the author. I prefer to spotlight the hunting versus the religious connotation."
[BOO, HISS.]
This author will call it a PRAYING Mantis. How sweet....
This author will call it a PRAYING Mantis. How sweet....
Blessing his food before he savagely rips it's crunchy little head off.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping in to leave me a comment. I try to respond to all comments that are made, but sometimes life is busy and I am unable. If you make a point to leave a valid email address, I might just email you back instead!
If you are commenting just to leave your business links, please refrain. I don't allow free advertising here.
As always, please be kind to everyone - any comments that are rude will be deleted.