October 10, 2005

Sailing the Atlantic with Columbus

God is good. We had such a fun day with our friends. I had to get on and post the cute photos I took... I apologize in advance that they are dark and grainy. I had to use my camcorder to take pictures because my digital had no juice.

Here are some things we did for our Columbus Day Unit Study:

  • We read "History Maker Bios: Christopher Columbus" by Susan Bivin Aller together and discussed as we read it
  • We found Italy, Portugal, The Atlantic Ocean, India, China, Japan, San Salvador, Hispaniola, Cuba, Haiti, South America, Jamaica, and Spain on a map
  • See a map of the "known world" in the 1400's before the discovery of the "New World"
  • Read the poem "In 1492, Columbus Sailed the Ocean Blue"
  • Pretend you are a sailor on one of Columbus' ships and write a ship's log
  • Discuss how the crew might have felt when they didn't find gold, and when they met the "Indians"... and how they might have felt being left behind
  • Discuss being shipwrecked for a year on an island (as Columbus was on another voyage), and how it might have been meeting cannibals
  • Draw, Write Now! Handwriting and Art project - Draw the three ships: Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria (discuss which ship sank and why)
  • Discuss different types of landmasses: Island and Peninsula
  • Do Columbus crossword puzzle worksheet, word search worksheet, and alphabetizing worksheet
  • Make a salt-dough "map" in the shape of Italy, bake it, cool it, and paint it
  • Write our Bible Verse for the day: "Psalm 37:5 - Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass."
  • Read from the Kid's Presidential Prayer Website about Columbus and other interesting information for today
  • Paint the continents on a large poster board
  • Paint three small "ships" (made from egg carton, popsicle sticks and little paper sails)
  • Chart the course of Columbus on our map with our boats, locate key points (see list above)
  • Do a quiz over the information we learned today with our friends (WOW, did they remember it all! I was shocked!)
Here are some cute pictures of our fun day with friends:


Four Craftsmen working on their Caravels...
columbusday4
Two "Italian" Painters
columbusday3
Looks like Italy got nuked...
columbusday2
My favorite homeschooled navigators set sail on the ocean blue...
columbusday

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say that I followed suit with your previous email about ideas for Columbus day and we had an awesome "off-track" :-) day!! The kids loved everything I had throwed together for them to do. Thanks for taking the time to post it all!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in to leave me a comment. I try to respond to all comments that are made, but sometimes life is busy and I am unable. If you make a point to leave a valid email address, I might just email you back instead!

If you are commenting just to leave your business links, please refrain. I don't allow free advertising here.

As always, please be kind to everyone - any comments that are rude will be deleted.