September 12, 2008

Field Trip Foto Friday: Lower White River Museum

LPdogtrot

What could be more fun than touring a turn of the century log cabin with a dog trot? Learning about the pearl industry and seeing how they made pearl buttons? Making your own butter? Seeing a makeshift diver's tank and imagining yourself in the murky water of a swamp-laced river bottom?

Those are some things we enjoyed while touring the Lower White River Museum in ... Arkansas during 2006. My children were in third and fourth grades and we were living in an apartment in Arkansas during that time. We enjoyed taking as many field trips as possible while we were out of state. This one was taken with some homeschool friends who knew the area pretty well.

LPmap

When we first got there and saw how small the little museum was, I was skeptical. However, the tour guide we were given was extremely knowledgeable. He brought the museum artifacts to life as he vividly described the uses and stories behind each one. Learning about Arkansas state history was very interesting and fun.

LPreadbible

It was hard to get good photographs indoors with my older digital camera. These few will have to suffice. We had a great time that day and ended our field trip by making butter and eating it on some crackers. I thought it was ingenious that the guide put their cream in little disposable plastic cups and told them they had to shake it while they toured the cabin - keeping little hands busy so they wouldn't touch the antiques!

If you happen to be in eastern Arkansas with an hour or two to spare; stop by the Lower White River Museum. You'll be amazed at all you can learn in such a small place.


Subscribe to Sprittibee by Email

Buzz Words: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a really neat museum and lots to learn. I like going to such visits. I enjoyed going to the pioneer hs group thing we went to a few years ago. They had different sections with some of the things you mentioned. I think we will be going to the Johnny Appleseed festival this month, which will be quite interesting. We went last year, but I think this year we will learn a lot more. :P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in to leave me a comment. I try to respond to all comments that are made, but sometimes life is busy and I am unable. If you make a point to leave a valid email address, I might just email you back instead!

If you are commenting just to leave your business links, please refrain. I don't allow free advertising here.

As always, please be kind to everyone - any comments that are rude will be deleted.