March 22, 2010

The Loveliness of Spring

frostybarn2010

The last gust of winter came through this weekend. Jack Frost whispered goodbye. It seems like a dream that we had snow here (in Texas) just a few short weeks ago. In August of last year I couldn't imagine wishing for warm weather again. I never thought I would want to let go of the winter once it got here. Never have I been so anxious for sweaters as I was in the dry summer of 2009.

And then the seasons change and a new day dawns: winter becomes spring. My longing for cold becomes a desire for warmth and color.

The wise Creator gives us exactly what we need; just enough and never too much.

The loveliness of spring returns like a speckled blue secret at first, hidden under the breast of a robin.

springskiss

Almost overnight the stark branches shoot forth leaves like dripping sunlight. The trees whisper of summer before our winter clothes have been tucked away.

It makes me want to count my blessings again...

Where was I? Oh, yes. Number 13. It's been too long. If I ever want to get to 1,000 - I had better get back to my weekly praise.

I'm thankful for:

13. Snow on cactus. Real snowmen that won't fit in your freezer. Memories of snowflakes on the baby's hair. Playing outside until our fingers burned from cold.

14. Golden sunshine and breezes from the north that make this place feel like heaven on earth.

15. The promise of green to come.

16. The tweeting birds. They're "twitterpated".

b-w puff

17. A thousand wishes yet to hope for while we still yet live. Knowing that anything is possible with Christ.

18. God's soft geometry - the puff of a dandelion.

19. The promise of seeds, carried on the wind... and life again.

spring-branches

20. Blue skies that reach into the heavens.

21. Easter

22. Fuzzy, buzzy, busy bees - dusted with yellow pollen - ignoring me as I stand inches from them with my camera.

new-world

23. The wonder in the eyes of a child... discovering the world anew.

24. Poetry to read:

BARTER ~ by Sara Teasdale

Life has loveliness to sell,
All beautiful and splendid things,
Blue waves whitened on a cliff,
Soaring fire that sways and sings,
And children's faces looking up
Holding wonder like a cup.

Life has loveliness to sell,
Music like a curve of gold,
Scent of pine trees in the rain,
Eyes that love you, arms that hold,
And for your spirit's still delight,
Holy thoughts that star the night.

Spend all you have for loveliness,
Buy it and never count the cost;
For one white singing hour of peace
Count many a year of strife well lost,
And for a breath of ecstasy
Give all you have been, or could be.



Join me at Ann Voskamp's Gratitude Community and count your blessings on your own blog each 'Multitude Monday'. Discover how she 'unwraps beauty' in the commonplace on her blog, "A Holy Experience".

holy experience




Quick Links:
A Thankful Heart is a Happy Heart (Post 1)

Credits: Last photo taken by my daughter, Morgan.

2 comments:

  1. God's soft geometry
    Beautiful...Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read "Barter" tonight in Honey for a Child's Heart. :)

    I am thankful for the rain outside my window. I am looking forward to the promised sunshine! And Sonshine!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in to leave me a comment. I try to respond to all comments that are made, but sometimes life is busy and I am unable. If you make a point to leave a valid email address, I might just email you back instead!

If you are commenting just to leave your business links, please refrain. I don't allow free advertising here.

As always, please be kind to everyone - any comments that are rude will be deleted.