March 21, 2010

Caught on 'Film'

filmstrip2

I had so many important things I wanted to tell you about in the past few days.

Let's see... on the 19th there was the give away and book review I never posted.

I'll have to get to that one later this week. Maybe tomorrow?

filmstrip3

And on the 20th, there was my essay on the importance of reading aloud to your kids. It never got written. I doubt it will, so please take my advice and read aloud to your kids. K? Even if they already know how to read.

Instead of writing this important article, I read aloud to my own kids and we finished 'Carry On, Mr. Bowditch' in the car on the way to a birthday party in College Station yesterday.

filmstrip4

We successfully snagged daddy's interest in the book because we had him as a captive audience in our vehicle. He always gives us a hard time about sitting down to read 'as a family'.

"That was a pretty good book," he admitted.

filmstrip5

"You know, you really should read more with us. We read a lot of good books." I smiled at him from the passenger seat, wondering how he would respond.

filmstrip6

"Oh, I only like navigation and sailing books," he said. (LIAR)

filmstrip7

Yeah, right. He's never been sailing and wouldn't know how to navigate to save his life. He just wants a 'get out of jail free' card so he won't have to listen to our next read-aloud if he has something more interesting to do.

filmstrip8

You can't fool a woman you have been married to for over 17 years.

filmstrip9

He did tell us an interesting story about a guy he worked with in Houston, though. He was a Vietnamese guy that took classes in an American school on navigation in the 1970's in Vietnam. Everyone told him he was crazy to learn it because it really wasn't something he needed to learn for his chosen field of study. Months later, when he ended up fleeing for his life, the only thing that got him on the private boat headed for the states - full of rich Vietnamese people - was the fact that he knew how to sail by the sun, moon and stars.

filmstrip10

God doesn't waste even a tiny detail of your life. It's all there for a reason. Each person, each class you take in college, each desire - even the strange obsessions you have with owls, dark chocolate and 3-ring binders. They are all there for a reason.

I'm sure of it.

filmstrip11

Like the desire I had in my heart for this little dude. He happened for a reason.

filmstrip12

Even though I already had two kids in Junior High... and I am closer to 40 than 20. By how much, I won't divulge. If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

filmstrip13

He makes me feel a whole lot younger than I am.

filmstrip14

I didn't plan on getting all deep and analytical. I just wanted to share some pictures of my tiniest sweetheart. Because you need more cuteness in your life. And I'm selfless enough to share. With most things, that is. Don't ask me to hand over the Milano Double Dark Chocolate cookies, though. It might get ugly.

filmstrip15

He's the main reason I keep skipping days here at my blog. But even if he weren't, I would still use him as an excuse.

filmstrip16

I mean, with a face that cute, and a laugh that contagious... it's amazing that I'm able to do anything at all but look at him and play with him 24/7.

filmstrip17

Babies tend to do this to people, I hear.

It's kind of like mind control.

Johnson and Johnson Bedtime Baby Bath and Lotion is also a kind of mind control.

Mmmm. Just thinking about it makes me want to go throw the baby in the bath.

filmstrip18

If you haven't noticed by now, these photos were all taken in order... during one of the little Viking's silliness episodes. He's such a distraction.

filmstrip19

I captured a moment in time - one sunny afternoon, after church, on the couch talking to him. He was playing with his little hairdryer that actually has a working fan in it.

But there are no batteries to make the toy work. That seems to be the case with more than half of his toys.

He doesn't mind.

filmstrip20

He was laughing and chatting with me. He kept tripping on his toys and falling down, only to right himself again and laugh.

It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

The shot above is when he finally fell and smacked his little chin on my boot. Poor baby.

Can you tell that he almost cried?

He's such a hard-head that he rarely cries when he gets hurt. After he looked at me and I smiled at him - he realized he was going to be OK and didn't cry.

Then he looked at the boot -as if to say, "Why did you hurt me?"

filmstrip 21

The boot said nothing.

filmstrip22

So he was back to his mischievous self again.

filmstrip 23

Then the bugger started sneaking up on me. I hear babies tend to do that, too.

filmstrip24

He had the nerve to try and get my camera. Which wasn't cool.

filmstrip25

If anyone could get my camera away from me, it would be this guy.

My heart is mush. My brain, too.

So hard to function when all I want to do is squish on those cheeks.




Quick Links:
Memo From the New Blog Editor
Cilantro-Lime Rice, Chicken Tacos, Guacamole & Black Beans - it's what's for dinner!

9 comments:

  1. There is some serious cuteness in this post. It's funny I had to read everything first and then I went back and looked at all the adorable pictures! LOL! I didn't want to be distracted as I smiled back at your beautiful little boy!
    Blessings,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering if I'm closer to 40 than you :) And we still want more little cutenesses to make us tired and worn out!

    I'm sorry we missed you in College Station as we are heading there this coming weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cutiepie!!

    I am MUCH closer to 40 than I am to 20, but my babies definitely make me feel younger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my word! he looks just like your husband! :))

    melinda

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is too entirely cute - our youngest is almost 1 and she has such a way of charming all of us! Somehow you'd think that by the time you get to #7 it'd be old hat, but I never get tired of these sweet baby faces!

    We had a hard time getting through Nathaniel Bowditch as a read-aloud. Overall it was very good, but so very sad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, he is just too cute! I don't think I'd ever get anything done if I had a baby in the house that I could adore all day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, lots of cuteness here :) but relieved he didn't get your camera!
    Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sneaky sailing and navigation books that are a delight for children and adults alike, which you have probably already read, but just in case you haven't here they are: Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons series, and Kon-Tiki (and The Ra Expedition) by Thor Heyerdahl.

    Your littlest one is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You encourage me. Even in your rambliness. :)

    He is getting too big. Make him stop. And while you're at it, come visit me at my house in Houston.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in to leave me a comment. I try to respond to all comments that are made, but sometimes life is busy and I am unable. If you make a point to leave a valid email address, I might just email you back instead!

If you are commenting just to leave your business links, please refrain. I don't allow free advertising here.

As always, please be kind to everyone - any comments that are rude will be deleted.