I'm swimming in color and loving our new space. Everyone added a little idea to create a patchwork masterpiece. Remember what it used to look like? It is a far cry from boring now!
From top to bottom, left to right - what I heart about our new room:
1. A close up of my quilted cork-board strip with memorabilia hanging from pins... and the fishing line with some favorite things clipped in a row across my desk. The fishing line is anchored on each side by two rusty iron stars that have been living in my garage for far too long!
2. The path to the master bedroom is now clear of obstacles and the quilted artwork on the wall brings the teal paint and red filing cabinets to the unpainted side of the room. It really pulls the whole decorative theme together.
3. The fabrics we picked were in many of my favorite colors; bright and lively. The best part about them is that they were gifts from a good friend. Our family and hers enjoyed staying up together until wee morning hours arranging them to find the perfect layout.
4. Our state quarter map now has a themed room to surround it. Maps and quilts are very much alike. Colorful spots all blending together to make a unique creation. Colorful people make them great.
5. The laminated maps won't fall off the walls any more! Now they are glued and nailed on - and have their own crown-molding frames. I had to erase Easter Island, though... some things (like electricity) are more important than unsolved mysteries of the past.
6. My new desktop reflects the colorful mood I'm in. Apple blossoms from my visit to Indiana last April fill the monitor now. There are plenty of things in my little office lagoon to smile about.
7. The maps are easy to get to - just under the half wall that leads from the stairs to our bedroom. The blue walls are a lovely canvass for my school room favorites.
8. My desk is anchored by the neglected file cabinets that have been in our garage for a year (and in storage for two years prior to that). I don't know what to do with myself now that I'll have all that filing space again! My piles are the next project on my plate. Check out that blogging station! I'm swimming in glee.
9. Minga likes her new perch atop one of my favorite IKEA blankets. The maps, my love of quilts, and the bold colors of this soft woven throw were the inspiration behind our paint color and quilt swatches. You can see the tan couch behind kitty dearest - a gift from a super friend, also. Now we have a place to relax and read, play x-box, watch movies or educational videos, do school work, or sleep!
This room serves many purposes, and now we can all enjoy it as a work of art. I am totally beat after our three full days of hard labor, but it was a labor of love. I hope to do it again some time in the future. The rest of the house is jealous.
Sprittibee's Decorating Advice:
1. Don't wait until you are about to move out. Do it now so you can enjoy it. Don't make the mistake I made with our last paint job (that we only got to enjoy for a week or so before selling our house).
2. Find an inspiration piece (a map, a quilt, a blanket, some artwork, etc.) and look through home decor magazines and books to find an idea to build on.
3. Allow your kids to share ideas. We were considering painting my desk white until I decided on using a greenish throw blanket to cover my white desk table and Morgan suggested using one of the antique brown and red dining chairs. Even kids can help bring the room together. Her chair idea made the entire corner look natural.
4. Ask friends to help (or better yet - offer to help THEM). The fun when you do it together is worth every bit of the back ache.
5. Stick with colors and things that you love.
6. Let your own style show through.
7. Ammie (my gifted, quilting decorator pal) says, "be willing to edit" - sometimes more is too much. I was really going crazy towards the end - letting my enthusiasm get the best of me.
Have a great weekend... and be sure to link your project here in my comments section if you are so inspired that you start one after seeing this!
Subscribe to Sprittibee by Email
Buzz Words: Homeschooling, project, home, Organizing, painting, decorating, Homeschool, home decor, Getting Things Done, colorful, design, quilt, walls, house, summer, life, personal, home office, declutter, inspiration